Unpacking the Proverbs 31 passage is truly a life changing for any woman who seeks to live life according to God’s design. The passage begins in verse 10.
” A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.” Prov 31:10 NIV.
In other translations noble is translated virtue or pure. I believe this speaks to the state we should be in before marriage-a virgin, having saved ourselves for the one God has chosen. I believe it speaks to the state we should remain in after marriage, the partner of one man, our husband. Our character should reflect that of Christ. This is not about perfection. It is not about an image. It is about heart. We have to remember life flows from the heart. As we seek to keep ourselves pure and noble we honor who God has created us to be, we honor God and we bring hope and beauty to our husband, our marriage, our family and our home. Scripture says we are worth more than rubies. Our value goes beyond what we do, what we bring to the marriage financially. Our value goes beyond our skills. Our real value is based upon our relationship with Christ, our security in Him, seeking to be fulfilled through our relationship with Christ, not the relationship with our husband.
How can I maintain virtue/nobility/purity? How can bring hope and beauty to my husband/family/home?
- I must guard my heart: this means protecting it from unsightly/immoral books, songs, television, movies, gossip, relationships.
- I must fill my mind and heart with His word-the tool available to me to instruct, correct.
- I must spend time in prayer confessing and seeking God’s counsel and direction.
- I need to remain humble.
- I need to be mindful of my choices-this is such a big area. So often we allow ourselves to become so busy we simply move through life, never giving any real thought to our actions, our choices, our speech, our friendships. Life on auto pilot leads to moments of disappointment. We can find ourselves in compromising situations not even knowing how we got there. Mindfulness is a result of scripture study, prayer and focus.
- I need an inner circle of godly women who speak truth into my life, holding me accountable.
- I must seek to serve God first and my husband second, children third.
Over the course of the next few months I am going to spend Friday breaking down these scripture. I’d love to hear from you. How does this passage speak to your heart?
Elizabeth George: A Woman After God’s Own Heart
Ann Ortlund: The Gentle Ways of a Beautiful Woman
Gordon MacDonald: Ordering Your Private World